As millions of people have discovered, water damage can be a disaster whether it is due to natural causes like flooding or a broken pipe. Learn what to do when water damage strikes with these simple steps.
1. Turn off the power. Water and electricity don’t mix. Shut down the electricity to all impacted areas. If you aren’t sure, then err on the side of caution and turn off power at the main breaker. You may find more information at water removal
2. Locate the source. Sometimes it is easy to locate the source of the water; for instance, in a flood. Other times it can be more than a little difficult since leaky pipes or other problems can drip into different areas. If the source isn’t easily spotted consider calling a professional to assist. It might save you a lot of time and money on repairs.
3. Extract the water. If you are without power, a gasoline powered pump may be required. Be sure to keep it outside as it will give off dangerous fumes inside a home. Water extraction should take place as soon as possible to avoid the growth of mold and mildew.
4. Move to higher ground. Sometimes it is necessary to remove furniture or other belongings to prevent further damage from taking place. In fact, heavily damaged areas may require evacuation to preserve the health of your family. If in doubt, err on the side of caution and consult with professionals as to whether or not it is safe to remain in your home.
5. Dry. Once the majority of the water has been removed it is time to dry out the rest of the house and belongings. High humidity can lead to the growth of mold and mildew that can ruin furniture, carpeting and the air quality of your home if not promptly addressed.
6. Repair. After the situation is stabilized it is time to take stock to see what can be repaired and what needs to be tossed. Dirty water like that from a flood or sewage leak can quickly contaminate everything it comes into contact with requiring extensive repairs ranging from drywall to new carpeting.
When searching for a professional Phoenix water damage repair, phoenix water restoration, phoenix flood damage services, consider a full service provider like Kiwi Services that specialize in all phases of water damage and repair with just one call; they will be able to assist in filing insurance claims and other forms to help with compensation.